Capcom rolled out an update for Monster Hunter Rise on PC that included controversial new DRM software, breaking the game’s Steam Deck verification and angering many fans.
Backlash Over Surprise DRM Addition
On January 23rd, Capcom released an update for the PC version of Monster Hunter Rise that integrated DRM software called “Enigma Protector” into the game’s executable file. This software is intended to prevent hacking, cheating, and piracy.
However, the addition of this new DRM caught players by surprise and immediately caused issues:
- Monster Hunter Rise is no longer playable on the Steam Deck handheld console. The game was previously “Verified” for Steam Deck compatibility.
- Many fans are criticizing Capcom for adding restrictive DRM measures to a game they paid full price for.
- There are reports of PC performance drops since the update.
Capcom did not communicate that new DRM was being added in the patch notes. Players only discovered the change after the update broke the game’s Steam Deck support.
Community Anger Over Lost Steam Deck Compatibility
The Steam Deck is a new handheld gaming PC from Valve. Monster Hunter Rise was promoted as one of the Deck’s flagship compatible titles:
| Verified Steam Deck Compatibility Status | Meaning |
| ---------------------------------------- | ------------------------------------------------------------ |
| Verified | Fully playable with proper controller support |
| Playable | Functional but may need tweaks for best experience |
| Unsupported | Does not function properly on Steam Deck |
Revoking a game’s Deck verification without warning has provoked particular criticism from the community:
- Many fans bought copies of Rise specifically for the Steam Deck. This update ruins that use case.
- There is confusion over why invasive DRM was added to a game that utilizes Steam DRM already.
- Losing Deck support hurts the game’s portability and couch co-op potential.
Multiple gaming news outlets have reported on the fiasco, further fueling complaints against Capcom.
Speculation Over Motives Behind Surprise Update
Without any communication from Capcom, players are left wondering why such controversial DRM was suddenly deemed necessary:
Combating Game Piracy?
Enigma Protector claims to make execution files extremely difficult to analyze, decompile, and alter. This can hamper hackers attempting to crack and pirate the game.
However, Monster Hunter Rise already utilizes Steam DRM like all games sold on the platform. Many question the need for additional measures when Steam protection has worked fine so far.
Preventing Cheating in Multiplayer?
There is also speculation that the added protection aims to prevent cheating tools and mods in the game’s online multiplayer modes. Things like damage mods, botting programs, and save file editors could enable those looking to ruin the experience for others.
But again, nothing had indicated these were major issues necessitating a change behind the scenes. And the DRM impacts all players regardless of whether they cheat.
What Happens Next?
Capcom has acknowledged the issues caused by the Enigma update and promises a hotfix is coming soon to restore Steam Deck compatibility. But the company has yet to comment on the DRM addition directly or explain their reasoning.
The community backlash continues to build in the meantime:
- Many see the surprise addition of restrictive DRM measures to a paid single-player game as anti-consumer and greedy.
- There are calls to review bomb Monster Hunter Rise over the controversial changes.
- Some players recommend requesting refunds until Steam Deck support is fixed.
- The updates have led to renewed complaints about Capcom’s history of DRM issues.
Unless Capcom can justify the purpose behind these unpopular changes, the publisher may have done lasting damage to their reputation and trust with the Monster Hunter fanbase. Many are questioning if they want to continue supporting Capcom games in the future if this is how loyal customers are treated.
The saga serves as a reminder to players and publishers alike that transparency regarding impactful development decisions is crucial, as is considering how updates can negatively disrupt your most dedicated fans.
To err is human, but AI does it too. Whilst factual data is used in the production of these articles, the content is written entirely by AI. Double check any facts you intend to rely on with another source.