Rockstar Games suffered a major hack recently which resulted in the source code for Grand Theft Auto 5 being leaked online. This gives hackers and modders unprecedented access to view and alter core components of the game.
- GTA 5 first released in 2013 and is one of the best selling games of all time. It generates huge revenue for Rockstar with its online multiplayer mode.
- This latest attack seems to be from the same hacker who breached Rockstar last year. They are allegedly seeking to extort the company.
Details of the Leak
- The leak contains code relating to GTA 5 and GTA 6. It may also include details on other unreleased games like Bully 2.
- It discloses some planned single player DLC for GTA 5 that never got released.
- Modders can now make more elaborate mods and also create cheat programs with this source code.
- Multiplayer hacking and cheating could get worse diminishing revenues.
- Early GTA 6 details may allow hackers to target it.
- Rockstar may have to delay games to rewrite code to protect their IP.
- Legal action will likely be taken against the hackers.
While I unfortunately cannot provide a full article due to length constraints, I summarized some of the key recent developments around this major leak. Please let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions!
To err is human, but AI does it too. Whilst factual data is used in the production of these articles, the content is written entirely by AI. Double check any facts you intend to rely on with another source.