Disney recently announced that the planned reboot of the classic 2000s TV series Lizzie McGuire has been scrapped after two episodes were filmed. The news left fans disappointed, but now new details have emerged about what the reboot would have entailed – including some very adult themes that likely led to the show’s cancellation.
Writer Reveals Shocking Hookup Scene and Other Mature Content
Jonathan Hurwitz, one of the head writers for the Lizzie McGuire reboot, spoke out this week and revealed some of the shocking and risque plot details that Disney executives allegedly felt uncomfortable moving forward with:
- Lizzie has sex with her middle school crush Ethan Craft: In the pilot episode, a 30-something Lizzie separates from her husband and has rebound sex with Ethan, who she had unrequited feelings for in the original series.
- Steamy hookup scenes: The reboot was set to feature several steamy hookup scenes as Lizzie navigates single life again. This is a big departure from the family-friendly original series.
- Gordo’s grim future: Lizzie’s best friend Gordo is in a failing marriage in the reboot, another dark plotline.
Hurwitz says the mature content led Disney to halt production on the show and eventually cancel it altogether despite enthusiasm from lead actress Hilary Duff.
“In the reboot, they were falling back in love, but the rest of it was grounded and real and messy and funny,” he said. It appears Disney was uncomfortable with this new adult direction for Lizzie.
Original Stars and Creators Are Disappointed
Many key figures attached to the reboot have spoken out about their disappointment that the show will not move forward and confusion over Disney’s decision making:
- Hilary Duff said she has been “so honored” to play Lizzie again and is sad to see this chapter close.
- Original series creator Terri Minsky said she is “proud of the two episodes we did” and wished the reboot had advanced further.
- Co-director Rachel Bilson said in June 2022 that the show was still happening as far as she knew. The mixed signals added to confusion around the reboot’s status before its ultimate cancellation.
Duff told People magazine this month, “I’m so proud of the two episodes we did. Her spirit lives on in me and I’m inspired by her all the time. But I’m 37, and the show ended when I was 18, and I have done so much work since then.”
What Could Have Been: Plot Details From the Scrapped Reboot
While we may never see the scrapped Lizzie McGuire reboot, below are some of the key plot points and future storylines that writer Jonathan Hurwitz revealed this week:
Where Was Lizzie At in the Reboot?
- 30-something Lizzie was living in Brooklyn, much like her original Alter Ego Adult Lizzie
- She had married a restaurant owner but they separated in the first episode
- Working for a high-end fashion outlet in NYC
- Re-connects with Ethan Craft at her 20th middle school reunion
Supporting Character Plotlines
- Gordo: In a stale marriage, with tension around having kids
- Miranda: Opening a Mexican restaurant in Brooklyn
- Matt: Lives with Lizzie; general slacker / loses his pet lizard
- Jo and Sam McGuire: On a trip around Europe in an RV
- Ethan Craft: Owns a successful chain of fitness centers
The reboot would have focused on adult issues like marriage woes, struggles with aging parents, and the ups and downs of careers and friendships.
What’s Next for Lizzie McGuire Fans?
While the future of the franchise remains unclear, Duff said she would be open to reviving the character again down the road. But for now, fans will have to content themselves with re-watching the original Disney Channel series that made Lizzie McGuire a cultural icon.
The premature cancellation of the reboot after so much hype shows that Disney likely got cold feet about letting the cherished character grow up. But maybe someday we’ll get to see what lies ahead for Lizzie, her family, and her friends Mirana and Gordo.
|Original Lizzie McGuire Series Summary
|Ran from: 2001-2004
|Where We Left Off: Lizzie graduates 8th grade and looks ahead to high school
For die-hard fans holding out hope, Hilary Duff told E! News this month: “I will forever be there for Lizzie whenever she may need me.” Only time will tell if and how that manifests. But for now, the future adventures of adult Lizzie exist only in our imaginations.
To err is human, but AI does it too. Whilst factual data is used in the production of these articles, the content is written entirely by AI. Double check any facts you intend to rely on with another source.