Samsung Electronics dominated headlines out of CES 2024 this past week by unveiling a slew of new AI-powered QLED televisions and a bold vision to make AI ubiquitous in homes around the globe.
Overview of Samsung’s Announcements
Samsung’s flashy press conference was filled with a number of jaw-dropping announcements showcasing how the company plans to push boundaries with QLED and microLED display technology over the next few years:
World’s First Transparent MicroLED Display – Samsung demoed a 55-inch transparent MicroLED display that can serve as an “information window” while allowing visibility of space behind it. The innovative display technology points to potential future applications in smart homes, offices, cars and public spaces [1, 2].
Advanced AI Picture Quality – New Neo QLED 8K and 4K TVs will use multi-intelligence deep learning to enhance picture quality to near perfection, automatically adjusting brightness and sounds based on room conditions .
Glare-Free OLED Screens – Samsung’s new S95D OLED TVs implement groundbreaking “Hypertube” technology to eliminate glare and reflections for the first time in an OLED display .
AI-Powered Customization – The 2024 lineup introduces “Smart Calibration,” which uses the TV’s built-in light sensor and AI picture quality algorithm to auto adjust the screen’s brightness, tone mapping and color volume for any room .
Samsung also showcased an ambitious vision for the future that puts AI assistants at the center of people’s lives to enable smarter homes.
Bringing AI Assistants Into Every Room
A key theme emerging from Samsung’s announcements is the company’s goal to make AI ubiquitous throughout homes by integrating AI assistants into virtually all devices.
Samsung highlighted this “AI for All” vision through previews of next-generation home appliances like refrigerators, washing machines, robot vacuum cleaners and air purifiers that have built-in AI capabilities :
- Bespoke AI Refrigerator – A new four-door Flex refrigerator concept leverages AI to recommend recipes and notify users of low food inventory.
- AI Washer/Dryer Combo – Analyzes fabric texture and level of soiling to select the optimal cleaning pattern.
- Jet Bot AI+ Robot Vacuum – Uses object recognition powered by AI camera and sensors to identify and avoid collisions with furniture or valuables.
- Air Purifier – Analyzes air quality and self cleans filter to maintain optimal performance.
|Food inventory tracking, recipe recommendations
|Analyzes fabric textures to automatically select optimal cleaning cycles
|Jet Bot AI+
|Object recognition for navigation and avoidance of collisions
|Monitors air quality, self cleans filter
This focus on AI is central to Samsung’s ambitions of creating an end-to-end connected smart home experience.
What Does This Mean for the Future?
Samsung’s big bets on QLED, microLED and AI paint a picture of a not-too-distant future where displays and devices seamlessly integrate into living spaces and leverage intelligence to automatically adapt to users’ needs and preferences.
The pioneering transparent MicroLED display in particular has enormous potential for changing how screens can be utilized in everyday life by serving as “always available” information windows. We may soon see transparent displays become commonplace in homes, offices, cars and public spaces as costs come down.
Meanwhile, Samsung’s integration of AI capabilities even into basic appliances underscores that AI assistants are rapidly moving beyond phones and speakers and into the very fabrics of our living environments.
As Samsung competitor LG also showcased its own vision for AI integrating into lifestyles at CES 2024, it’s clear that tech giants are racing to stake their claims as AI platforms for the smart homes of the future. We can expect the battle for the smart home to heat up dramatically over the next few years.
What Else Did Samsung Announce?
Beyond displays and smart home appliances, Samsung made several other notable announcements:
- Collaboration with Google – Select 2024 Samsung TVs will feature built in support for Google Assistant voice control alongside existing support for Samsung’s Bixby .
- NFT Platform for TVs – New TV models will support NFT artwork playback via an integrated platform optimized for living room viewing .
- Green Technology Initiatives – Eco-friendly technology innovations highlighted include solar-powered remote controls, renewable materials in packaging, and reduced standby power consumption .
- Immersive Home Theater – 8K Ultra Short Throw and 4K Smart Projectors with 130+ inch screens designed to turn living spaces into movie theaters .
The Road Ahead
With its unveilings at CES 2024, Samsung has delivered a glimpse into the future living room and affirmed its ambitions to leverage AI and innovative displays to transform homes.
The months and years ahead will reveal deeper insights into how concepts like the transparent MicroLED display translate into shipped consumer products. We will also learn more about how Samsung follows through on integrating AI through everyday devices beyond just televisions.
If Samsung manages to deliver on executing this smart home vision, they could drive dramatic changes in how human environments evolve to seamlessly incorporate cloud-connected, intelligent experiences.
To err is human, but AI does it too. Whilst factual data is used in the production of these articles, the content is written entirely by AI. Double check any facts you intend to rely on with another source.