The road to Wrestlemania kicks off later this month with the WWE Royal Rumble event on January 28th. As the date approaches, several top stars have already declared their entry into the iconic battle royal matches.
Men’s Rumble Taking Shape with Surprises Rumored
The men’s Royal Rumble match traditionally features 30 superstars competing to earn a world championship match at Wrestlemania. So far, eight stars have confirmed their participation:
- Former two-time WWE Champion Drew McIntyre made his Rumble intentions clear last week: “I have unfinished business and the Rumble is the perfect place to make a statement en route to Wrestlemania.”
- Shinsuke Nakamura, the 2018 Rumble winner, also declared via Twitter last week.
- Bobby Lashley announced his entry after winning a fatal four-way match on Raw.
- Seth Rollins and his arch-nemesis Kevin Owens got into a brawl that ended with both men declaring for the match.
- Finn Balor and Damian Priest round out the early field.
That leaves 22 open spots for surprises. According to backstage rumors, several former world champions could return:
- Multiple sources have indicated that WWE has been in talks with CM Punk about a Rumble appearance and potential Wrestlemania match.
- There is speculation that “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and boxing great Tyson Fury could also get involved.
- Rumors also suggest Brock Lesnar and/or John Cena could be surprise entrants.
While the field is still taking shape, the early betting odds have pegged Cody Rhodes as the favorite to go on to the main event of Wrestlemania.
Men’s Royal Rumble 2024 Odds
Women’s Rumble Has Increased Excitement
On the women’s side, the Rumble field increased to 30 participants for the first time last year, adding to the excitement and unpredictability. So far, these five competitors have confirmed their entry:
- Smackdown Women’s Champion Bianca Belair made a bold declaration that she would enter and win the match for the second straight year.
- Likewise, Raw Women’s Champion Becky Lynch stated she wants to become the first woman to win from the #1 spot.
- Paige announced her surprise return and Rumble entry after three years away. Sources say WWE brought her back specifically for this event.
- Naomi and Nikki Cross round out the early competitors.
Similar to the men’s match, rumors of surprises and returning legends continue to swirl:
- There is belief that Ronda Rousey will be a surprise return entrant as she tries to work her way back into the title picture.
- Sources also say WWE is trying hard to convince Trish Stratus to compete in the Rumble one more time.
- Additionally, multiple outlets have reported that former stars like Lita, Michelle McCool, and even Stephanie McMahon could lend their star power to the groundbreaking women’s match.
The betting odds show just how wide open the field is, with Rhea Ripley tabbed as a very early favorite:
Women’s Royal Rumble 2024 Odds
Royal Rumble Builds Towards Historic Wrestlemania
The road to Wrestlemania annually runs through the Royal Rumble. But this year feels bigger and more historic than ever before.
For the men, Roman Reigns has held the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship for over two years. Rumors strongly suggest his dominance will be challenged by Cody Rhodes in the Wrestlemania main event. Rhodes left AEW and returned triumphantly at last year’s event, but has yet to reach the peak many expect he is destined for.
Meanwhile, the women’s division has seen meteoric rises from superstars like Bianca Belair, Alexa Bliss, Asuka, Rhea Ripley and others. A historic Wrestlemania triple threat between Raw Women’s Champion Becky Lynch, Smackdown Women’s Champion Bianca Belair, and 2023 Women’s Royal Rumble winner Rhea Ripley has been discussed internally.
The Royal Rumble will set the table for these historic possibilities. Surprises always occur, but this year’s rumors point to returns and debuts that could shape WWE for the foreseeable future.
When & Where: Royal Rumble takes place on January 28th, 2024 from the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.
Here is the updated match card for Royal Rumble 2024:
- 30-Man Royal Rumble Match
- Confirmed entrants: Drew McIntyre, Shinsuke Nakamura, Bobby Lashley, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, Damian Priest
- 30-Woman Royal Rumble Match
- Confirmed entrants: Bianca Belair, Becky Lynch, Paige, Naomi, Nikki Cross
- Raw Women’s Championship: Becky Lynch (c) vs Alexa Bliss
- Smackdown Women’s Championship: Bianca Belair (c) vs Rhea Ripley
- Undisputed WWE Universal Championship: Roman Reigns (c) vs Kevin Owens
The road to Wrestlemania will heat up with surprises and questions answered at Royal Rumble 2024 later this month!
To err is human, but AI does it too. Whilst factual data is used in the production of these articles, the content is written entirely by AI. Double check any facts you intend to rely on with another source.